Because trans and non-binary people already experience unique forms of discrimination, it is important to us that our event be not only safe and harassment free, but a positive and affirming space for everyone involved.
We honor all gender identities, races, sexualities, body types, economic backgrounds, abilities, religious beliefs and overall ways of human being, as we believe that diversity of experiences is key to successful collaborations.
All Trans*Code participants, volunteers, mentors, speakers, and team members are expected to follow this code of conduct throughout Trans*Code events and in all Trans*Code virtual spaces. Participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event at the discretion of the conference organizers.
WHAT IS HARASSMENT?
Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender identity and expression (such as purposefully misgendering someone), sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. Exhibiting sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention are also forms of harassment.
If any participants are asked to stop offending behavior, they are expected to comply immediately. The organizing team may take any action we deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expelling them from the event.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the Trans*Code team immediately.
Participant Privacy & Photography
Because it is not always safe or prudent for trans* people to be “out” in all aspects of their lives, please respect everyone’s privacy. As will be explained at the event, participants who do not want their photos taken will have special stickers on their name badges. Please respect the privacy of all participants in this and all other respects.
WE DO NOT TOLERATE:
- Offensive jokes of any sort. Just don’t.
- Gender assumptions and policing: Do not assume gender. If you are unsure of someones preferred gender pronoun, address them by their name. They might tell you and if they don’t, that is ok, too!
- Unsolicited Touch: Everyone’s physical space must be respected at all times. No touching of other people without their consent–this includes hugs (but I am sure a lot of people would love a hug if you asked first!).
- Bathroom Police: As part of creating a gendersafe space, Trans*Code events will always have gender neutral bathrooms.
- Hate Speech: We do not tolerate any conversations or presentations that involve racist thinking, transphobia, homophobia, classism, and other explicit forms of ignorance.